In 1892, T.O. Williams set up a practice in Grand Rapids with emphasis on surveying, railroad locations, flow surveys for hydroelectric plants, land drainage design, roads, and property surveys. In 1924, the original Williams & Works was incorporated. Over the next 65 years, the firm grew and expanded into many service disciplines and areas. In the early 1990’s the company was purchased and the Williams & Works name was set aside.
In October 1995, five former Williams & Works employees plus two others started a new company with the old name of Williams & Works with the goal of carrying on the firm's tradition of service.
Our Company Today
Our goal was to build a consulting organization that continues the tradition of providing the highest level of service to our clients. With now over 20 years of service to Grand Rapids and the surrounding midwest area, we are proud to say we are doing just that.
At Williams & Works, we build relationships with our clients. We work with you, not for you. Being an employee-owned company means that our attention to detail and costs is extremely important. We bring a team approach to our assignments and constantly strive to be more efficient and economical in our business practices. We frequently collaborate to develop multi-disciplinary and creative solutions to complex planning, engineering, and surveying tasks.
Here, you get
THE FULL SERVICE
Our professional engineers work with public and private sector clients to design and assist with the construction of infrastructure projects. Whether working with private developers, the Michigan Department of Transportation, or other entities, our commitment to quality service remains the same. Our state-of-the-art designs always respond to current conditions and are consistent with current regulations and standards. Williams & Works has long been known in the industry as leaders in infrastructure design (we designed Detroit’s first wastewater system), and our sustainable approach to design allows us to develop systems that efficiently meet clients' needs while providing flexibility for future growth.
- Water supply & treatment
- Sanitary sewer collection, distribution and treatment
- Storm sewer systems
- Capital Improvement Plans
- Asset Management Plans
- Site plan development
- Construction documents
- Construction administration
- Residential and commercial subdivisions
- Site condominiums
- Superstructure analysis
- Design build services
- Scour analysis
- Bridge design
- Road design
- Groundwater source development
- Design of potable water systems
- Wastewater treatment plants
- Expansion and contraction of systems
- Rate studies
- Constructability Reviews
- Construction Inspection
- Construction Administration
- Storm Water Management
Williams & Works' survey group is comprised of Professional Surveyors licensed in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin. Our support staff of Surveyors in Training and Certified Survey Technicians is able to mobilize on short notice and is experienced in a variety of field data collection methods and drafting software, allowing us to provide deliverable products based on our clients’ needs. In keeping with our tradition of service, Williams & Works is committed to understanding our clients’ needs and providing quality service to meet those needs in a timely manner.
- Certified surveys
- Parcel divisions
- Land & Easement descriptions
- ALTA Land title
- Right of way determination
- Remonumentation and State Plane coordinate determination
- Topographic design survey
- Topographic as-built survey
- Hydrographic survey
- Geodetic control
- Photogrammetric control
- Bridge survey
- Telecommunication tower survey
- Hydraulics survey
- Environmental engineering survey
- Certified First Aid
- CPR training
- Confined space training
- E Rail safe training
- CN Railroad safety training
- Hazwoper training
- Certified surveyor technician training
- Construction staking
Our planners strive to create inviting, sustainable communities. We understand that each community is unique and requires its own tailored approach to planning services. Williams & Works assists municipalities, non-profit organizations, and developers with land use projects and provides the tools needed to accomplish their goals. Our planners are also experienced in the day-to-day application of zoning administration and land use regulations, often realizing the ramifications of key policy decisions before they are enacted. With a thorough understanding of public and private sector economic development goals, we also work with communities to attract new industries, re-develop traditional downtowns, and obtain funding to support job growth.
- Tax increment financing
- Service consolidation and sharing
- Public and private partnerships
- Grant writing, management, and financial packaging
- Downtown streetscape design
- Historic preservation
- Master Plans
- Form-Based Codes
- Opinion surveys
- Community consensus building
- Zoning Ordinances
- Design charrettes
- Capital improvement plans
- Wellhead protection program implementation
- Expert witness service
- Commission or board training
- GIS/Sketch-up mapping and modeling
- Sustainable and "green" planning and zoning
- Community mapping
- Park and recreation plans
- Staffing planning departments
- Site plan review
- Zoning administration and enforcement
Williams & Works uses Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAV) to capture high-resolution photos to create orthorectified images, 3D point cloud data, 3D models, and digital elevation models. We are also using this technology for inspection purposes capturing video, and photos of construction progress.
This data can be quickly acquired using UAV’s (drones) at a minimal cost compared to traditional methods. Pictures can be acquired on site, processed, and then reviewed on a web browser, or output files used in programs such as Civil 3D or Revit.
This technology provides a quick and cost-effective way to get an elevated look, accurate model and 3D point cloud data. This data can then be used for:
- Volumetric surveys of gravel pits, landfills, or stock piles.
- 3D mesh models of a project area to assist in planning or design.
- 3D point could data for engineering purposes.
- Inspection or construction progress monitoring.
Let's work together
549 Ottawa Ave NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
(616) 224 - 1500
(800) 224 - 1590 toll free
|(616) 224 - 1501|