Williams & Works is an employee-owned company dedicated to providing the highest level of service to our clients. Many of our clients have been with us for decades, and have come to rely on the professional, honest and thorough level of service we provide. At Williams & Works, we build relationships with our clients and work with them, not for them. We bring a team approach to our assignments and constantly strive to be more efficient and economical in our business practices.
We recognize the potential of our employees and support them through training, professional development, association membership and other means. Being an employee-owned company means that our attention to detail and costs is extremely important. We frequently collaborate to develop multi-disciplinary and creative solutions to complex planning, engineering, and surveying tasks.
We appreciate our community and strive to be good stewards through volunteerism, charity and environmental stewardship. Our staff frequently participates in charity events and the company regularly gives to local non-profit organizations that make a difference in Grand Rapids and beyond. We also speak at conferences, mentor youth and participate in many community organizations. We are always looking for new and better ways to give back to our community.
In 1892, T.O. Williams set up a practice in Grand Rapids with emphasis on surveying, railroad locations, drains, flow surveys for hydroelectric plants, land drainage design, roads, and property surveys. In 1923, W.B. Williams and Fred Works became a part of the organization. In 1924, the original Williams & Works was incorporated.
The fall of 1929 marked the beginning of the Great Depression, and Williams & Works was not spared its effects. By July of 1931, the staff was reduced to four officers. On the morning of July 28, Fred Works and D’Arcy Wernette were on their way to make a survey when their car was struck by a train, killing them both instantly. Their shares in the firm were purchased by the corporation, leaving T.O. Williams and his son, W.B., the only shareholders and the only employees.
The Company experienced many ups and downs over the next 50 years. In the early 1980’s, Williams & Works diversified and became known as WW Engineering & Science, with the dissolution of Williams & Works as a corporate entity. In the late 1980’s, WW Engineering & Science was purchased by the Summit Environmental Group, and in the early 1990’s Summit was purchased by Earth Tech. During this period, Williams & Works ceased to exist.
In October 1995, five former Williams & Works employees plus two others started a new company with the old name of Williams & Works. Our goal is to build a consulting organization that provides the highest level of services to our clients.